Categories: BusinessEconomy

Sainsbury’s focus is on strategy, not takeover frenzy

LONDON, July 6 (Reuters) – The boss of Sainsbury’s (SBRY.L) said on Tuesday his focus was on delivering the British supermarket group’s strategy rather than the takeover frenzy that has gripped the sector.

Shares in Sainsbury’s, Britain’s second largest grocer after market leader Tesco (TSCO.L), are up 24% so far this year, buoyed by bid speculation.

That started in April when Czech billionaire Daniel Kretinsky raised his stake in Sainsbury’s to just under 10% and has been fuelled over the last two weeks by a bid battle for Morrisons (MRW.L), the No. 4 player. read more

Asked by reporters if Sainsbury’s board had received any takeover approaches, CEO Simon Roberts said: “If we had anything to update on, we’d be updating on it, so we’ve nothing to update you on.”

“I’m not going to speculate on where things are in the wider sector,” he said.

“We’re very focused on our plan. We laid out a (strategic) plan in November to really deliver improvements for our customers and improve the value that we can create for our shareholders.”

Roberts said better-than-expected trading in Sainsbury’s latest quarter showed that plan was working.

The group’s like-for-like sales, excluding fuel, rose 1.6% in the 16 weeks to June 26, its fiscal first quarter.

That was ahead of analysts’ average forecast of a fall of 1.7% and compared to a rise of 11.3% in the previous quarter.

read more

The sharp slowdown in growth reflected a tough comparison with the same quarter last year when shoppers stocked up for the country’s first COVID-19 lockdown.

Sainsbury’s said it outperformed competitors and grew market share, which it said reflected lower prices, more innovation and better customer service. A further 50 million pounds of price cuts were announced on Monday.

Grocery sales were up 0.8%, online grocery sales rose 29% and clothing sales jumped 57.6%.

General merchandising sales did, however, fall 1.4%, partly reflecting “global supply challenges” which Sainsbury’s said are likely to continue for the remainder of the year.

Despite facing further tough comparative numbers as pandemic restrictions continue to ease and customer behaviour normalises the group raised its profit outlook.

It forecast underlying pretax profit of “at least” 660 million pounds in the 2021-22 year, up from previous guidance of about 620 million pounds and the 356 million pounds made in 2020-21.

Industry leaders have warned that Britain could face gaps on supermarket shelves this summer due to a major shortage of truck drivers. read more

“We are getting products to store, but not necessarily every product,” said Roberts.

“We’re working hard to make sure we can maintain availability but clearly there are challenges in the upward supply chain.”

(Adds dropped words in para four)Reporting by James Davey; editing by Michael Holden, Kate Holton and David Evans

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/sainsburys-boss-says-focused-strategy-amid-takeover-sector-drama-2021-07-06/

World Economic Magazine

Recent Posts

Timely Delivery The Key For Developers In Face Of Rising Dubai Construction Costs

Century Tower completes handovers two months ahead of schedule in Business Bay as wider delay…

2 days ago

Dubai Real Estate Evolves Into Dual-Track Market With Homes As Lifestyle Assets, Says Luxury Developer

Keturah founder pinpoints critical shifts that will transform the property landscape in 2026 Dubai, UAE,…

2 days ago

ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026 to reflect on ‘A Decade of Disruption, A Century of Change’

South Asia’s definitive thought leadership dialogue, The Times Group’s ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026…

2 days ago

M&D Appoints Industry Veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer

M&D has appointed industry veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer effective January 1, 2026

7 days ago

Architectural Masterpiece by Thomas Schoos Hits the Market at $36,888,888 in Beverly Hills

A striking new architectural landmark has entered the luxury market at 1140 Summit Drive in…

1 week ago

Three Group Solutions Delivers Private 5G Network Across Hutchison Ports’ UK Operations

Three Group Solutions has completed the deployment of a private 5G network across key Hutchison…

1 week ago