Ford to make new investment of up to $20 billion in EV push- Bloomberg News

Feb 1 (Reuters) – Ford Motor Co (F.N) is planning additional investment of up to $20 billion in building its electric vehicles, Bloomberg News reported on Tuesday.

The investment of $10 billion to $20 billion will be spread out over the next five to ten years and will include converting its present factories around the world to electric-vehicle production, the report said, citing people familiar with the plan.

Under a plan dubbed “Ford+” meant to have investors value it more like a technology company, the No. 2 U.S. automaker had already pledged to spend over $30 billion on EVs, including battery development, by 2030. read more

The latest push is being led by a former Apple Inc (AAPL.O) and Tesla (TSLA.O) executive, the report said. Doug Field, an Apple veteran who had worked at Tesla, joined Ford last year to lead the automaker’s advanced technology and embedded systems efforts.

Major automakers from General Motors Co (GM.N), Ford and Volvo Cars (VOLCARb.ST) are swiftly making changes to take their piece of the pie in a competitive EV space and fight against electric car challenger Tesla Inc (TSLA.O).

The report added Ford has evaluated spinning off a small portion of its EV business as a part of the reorganization, to capture value in an electric startup environment boosted by investor sentiment.

The new plan also includes hiring an unspecified number of engineers to work on concepts such as battery chemistry, artificial intelligence and EV software, the report said, indicating the rising importance of software and digital connectivity in the auto industry.

“We’re carrying out our ambitious Ford+ plan to transform the company and thrive in the new era of connected, electric vehicles,” the company’s spokesman said, adding they do not comment on rumors and speculations.

Ford’s shares rose as much as 2.7% on Tuesday.

Reporting by Nivedita Balu in Bengaluru and Ben Klayman in Detroit; Editing by Krishna Chandra Eluri

Source: https://www.reuters.com/technology/ford-invest-up-20-billion-ev-push-bloomberg-news-2022-02-01/

World Economic Magazine

Recent Posts

M&D Appoints Industry Veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer

M&D has appointed industry veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer effective January 1, 2026

5 days ago

Architectural Masterpiece by Thomas Schoos Hits the Market at $36,888,888 in Beverly Hills

A striking new architectural landmark has entered the luxury market at 1140 Summit Drive in…

6 days ago

Three Group Solutions Delivers Private 5G Network Across Hutchison Ports’ UK Operations

Three Group Solutions has completed the deployment of a private 5G network across key Hutchison…

6 days ago

Quorso Expands Partnership with Circle K to Roll Out Intelligent Management Across North America

Quorso has expanded its partnership with Circle K, extending its Intelligent Management Platform to more…

7 days ago

Northern Virginia’s Data Center Industry Sets Benchmark in Community Reinvestment and Workforce Development

Northern Virginia’s data center sector reinforced its commitment to community impact in 2025, as the…

7 days ago

Leason Ellis Strengthens Patent Practice with Addition of Nine Ph.D.-Level Life Sciences Professionals

Leason Ellis LLP has strengthened its Patent Practice Group with the addition of a nine-member…

1 week ago