Ericsson shares fall on worries of bigger fine as U.S. SEC starts probe

STOCKHOLM, June 10 (Reuters) – Shares of Ericsson (ERICb.ST) fell 2.5% on Friday as the chance of it suffering a higher fine increased with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) starting a separate investigation into the company’s handling of misconduct in Iraq.

U.S. agencies investigated the company earlier, with the result that Ericsson had to pay a $1 billion fine in 2019 as part of settlement of a bribery case. It also had to enter a deferred prosecution agreement (DPA).

“We believe the combined penalty to be paid in this round of investigations is likely to be somewhat higher than the previous one, in light of the repetitive misconduct, the breach of the DPA and the corruption being in Iraq,” Jefferies analysts said in response to news that the SEC was investigating.

The Department of Justice (DoJ) had already begun doing so.

The controversy, which broke in February, relates to Ericsson’s own investigation in 2019. This found payments had been made to the Islamic State militant group in Iraq.

While the misconduct did not take place under the current management, the company did not share the entire report with the DoJ, prompting it to investigate.

Upset investors voted against discharging board members of liability for 2021. The board members could be held personally liable for their actions.

Ericsson has lost about a third of its market value since February. Analysts have said that, although any potential fine is likely priced into the shares, it does create an overhang until a settlement is reached.

They estimate that any settlement is unlikely to come this year and could even derail Ericsson’s $6.2 billion deal to buy U.S. cloud communications firm Vonage (VG.O).

The deal was expected to close in the first half of the year but the closure has been postponed to August.

Mads Rosendal, an analyst at Danske Bank Credit Research, wrote that the new probe “could also mean further delays to the Vonage acquisition, which we now see as having a slightly higher probability of getting cancelled.”

Reporting by Supantha Mukherjee in Stockholm; Editing by Bradley Perrett

Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/media-telecom/ericsson-shares-fall-worries-bigger-fine-us-sec-starts-probe-2022-06-10/

World Economic Magazine

Recent Posts

M&D Appoints Industry Veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer

M&D has appointed industry veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer effective January 1, 2026

5 days ago

Architectural Masterpiece by Thomas Schoos Hits the Market at $36,888,888 in Beverly Hills

A striking new architectural landmark has entered the luxury market at 1140 Summit Drive in…

6 days ago

Three Group Solutions Delivers Private 5G Network Across Hutchison Ports’ UK Operations

Three Group Solutions has completed the deployment of a private 5G network across key Hutchison…

6 days ago

Quorso Expands Partnership with Circle K to Roll Out Intelligent Management Across North America

Quorso has expanded its partnership with Circle K, extending its Intelligent Management Platform to more…

1 week ago

Northern Virginia’s Data Center Industry Sets Benchmark in Community Reinvestment and Workforce Development

Northern Virginia’s data center sector reinforced its commitment to community impact in 2025, as the…

1 week ago

Leason Ellis Strengthens Patent Practice with Addition of Nine Ph.D.-Level Life Sciences Professionals

Leason Ellis LLP has strengthened its Patent Practice Group with the addition of a nine-member…

1 week ago