Categories: BusinessNewsWorld

Sydney’s lockdown is likely to be extended, and Delta variant cases are on the rise!

On Thursday, the COVID-19 Delta outbreak in Sydney, Australia’s largest city, swelled by 239 cases, the pandemic’s daily maximum surge, prompting authorities to grant police more authority to shut down companies that do not comply with lockdown orders.

Over two million people in eight Sydney hotspots will be required to wear masks outside and stay within a 5-kilometer (3-mile) radius of their homes.

The fifth week of a nine-week lockdown in Sydney is coming to an end on August 28, but the spread of the infectious Delta strain continues.

The majority of new locally acquired cases were detected in Sydney, with at least 66 of them contagious while in the community. The lockdown in Sydney will not be lifted until the number of cases in the community has dropped to near zero, according to authorities.

“It only takes a handful of people, or a small percentage, to do the wrong thing and cause a setback for all of us. We can’t afford setbacks,” Gladys Berejiklian, the state Premier, told reporters in Sydney.

Sydney, which is home to one-fifth of Australia’s 25 million people, has been hit hard by the virus this year, leading officials to extend lockdown restrictions for another month on Wednesday.

There have been almost 2,800 cases detected so far, with 182 people being admitted to hospitals. Fifty-four people are in critical condition, with 22 of them requiring ventilator. There have been two more deaths recorded, bringing the total number of deaths in the most current outbreak to 13.

Despite Greater Sydney being under lockdown since June 26, infections have progressively escalated due to only roughly 17 percent of people over the age of 16 in New South Wales being completely vaccinated.

A man who returned from Wuhan, Hubei, China, tested positive for the covid19 virus in Victoria on January 25, 202

Non-residents were forbidden from entering Australia on March 20, and reverting citizens were recommended to stay in supervised quarantine motels for two weeks beginning March 27.

Similarly, many states and territories have closed their borders to varied degrees, with some doing so until late 2020.

Source: Thomson Reuters

World Economic Magazine

Recent Posts

Timely Delivery The Key For Developers In Face Of Rising Dubai Construction Costs

Century Tower completes handovers two months ahead of schedule in Business Bay as wider delay…

2 days ago

Dubai Real Estate Evolves Into Dual-Track Market With Homes As Lifestyle Assets, Says Luxury Developer

Keturah founder pinpoints critical shifts that will transform the property landscape in 2026 Dubai, UAE,…

2 days ago

ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026 to reflect on ‘A Decade of Disruption, A Century of Change’

South Asia’s definitive thought leadership dialogue, The Times Group’s ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026…

2 days ago

M&D Appoints Industry Veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer

M&D has appointed industry veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer effective January 1, 2026

7 days ago

Architectural Masterpiece by Thomas Schoos Hits the Market at $36,888,888 in Beverly Hills

A striking new architectural landmark has entered the luxury market at 1140 Summit Drive in…

1 week ago

Three Group Solutions Delivers Private 5G Network Across Hutchison Ports’ UK Operations

Three Group Solutions has completed the deployment of a private 5G network across key Hutchison…

1 week ago