St. Modwen accepts Blackstone’s raised $1.75 bln take-private offer

June 24 (Reuters) – Housebuilder and logistics firm St. Modwen Properties (SMP.L) said on Thursday it has agreed to a sweetened 1.25 billion pounds ($1.75 billion) offer from U.S. private equity firm Blackstone (BX.N) to take it private.

Demand for warehousing has soared as the pandemic accelerated a shift to online shopping and ordering, boosting UK-listed St. Modwen, which counts Amazon UK (AMZN.O), DHL and Ocado as clients.

The company has also benefited from a strong recovery in the housing market after an initial hit from the health crisis.

The recommended 560 pence per share cash offer for St. Modwen was final, Blackstone said, but it could make a new proposal if another suitor for the real estate developer emerged.

Shares of St. Modwen, which builds homes, owns and manages several industrial and logistics assets in Britain, were hardly changed at 553 pence in morning trading.

St. Modwen’s top shareholder Aviva (AV.L), which has a 7.27% stake, Refinitiv Eikon data shows, said it would back the offer at a shareholder meeting set for July 21, as did Aberdeen Standard Investments, which holds roughly 2.2%.

The latest offer is at a premium of about 25% to the stock’s closing price the day before the first offer was made on May 7. Shares have climbed about 23% in the same period.

St. Modwen’s directors said the latest offer was in the “best interests” of shareholders.

Blackstone last month put forward a 542 pence per share offer for St. Modwen. The stock rose 20% but failed to rise to the offer price.

Private equity interest in British companies has increased in recent months in an investment climate marked by soaring stock markets and very low interest rates.

Blackstone itself was involved in a takeover battle for Australia’s Crown Resorts Ltd (CWN.AX), and bought out private jet services firm Signature Aviation as part of a consortium.

($1 = 0.7162 pounds)

(Corrects Aviva’s stake in paragraph six to 7.27% from 17.14%)Reporting by Pushkala Aripaka in Bengaluru; Editing by Shounak Dasgupta

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/blackstone-makes-higher-buyout-proposal-uks-st-modwen-properties-2021-06-24/

World Economic Magazine

Recent Posts

Timely Delivery The Key For Developers In Face Of Rising Dubai Construction Costs

Century Tower completes handovers two months ahead of schedule in Business Bay as wider delay…

2 days ago

Dubai Real Estate Evolves Into Dual-Track Market With Homes As Lifestyle Assets, Says Luxury Developer

Keturah founder pinpoints critical shifts that will transform the property landscape in 2026 Dubai, UAE,…

2 days ago

ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026 to reflect on ‘A Decade of Disruption, A Century of Change’

South Asia’s definitive thought leadership dialogue, The Times Group’s ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026…

2 days ago

M&D Appoints Industry Veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer

M&D has appointed industry veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer effective January 1, 2026

7 days ago

Architectural Masterpiece by Thomas Schoos Hits the Market at $36,888,888 in Beverly Hills

A striking new architectural landmark has entered the luxury market at 1140 Summit Drive in…

1 week ago

Three Group Solutions Delivers Private 5G Network Across Hutchison Ports’ UK Operations

Three Group Solutions has completed the deployment of a private 5G network across key Hutchison…

1 week ago