Categories: LifestyleWorld

Hong Kong-Singapore travel bubble postponed for a second time

A travel bubble between Hong Kong and Singapore due to open on May 26 has been postponed for a second time, officials said on Monday, after a spike in cases in Singapore derailed the plan for quarantine-free travel between the financial hubs.

The bubble was initially slated to begin in November last year but was called off after a rise in cases in Hong Kong. Under the plan, travellers would have to test negative for COVID-19 before departure and on arrival to move freely between the cities.

Hong Kong and Singapore have been largely successful in keeping the virus at bay over the past year with strict border controls and effective tracing of infections but new cases in Singapore this month have dashed hopes for the air travel bubble (ATB).

“In light of the recent increase in unlinked community cases, Singapore is unable to meet the criteria to start the Singapore-Hong Kong ATB,” Singapore’s Ministry of Transport said in a statement.

But both sides remained committed to launching the bubble safely, it said. The Hong Kong government said another announcement would come on or before June 13.

Singapore announced on Friday its strictest curbs on social gatherings and public activities for months due to a rise in community infections in recent days.

Hong Kong has seen its daily cases drop to low single digits while the government has relaxed some coronavirus rules for vaccinated people in a move to incentivise residents to get inoculated. read more

The travel bubble was due to start with one flight a day into each city, with up to 200 travellers on each flight.

Officials had said that if the seven-day moving average of the daily number of unlinked local COVID-19 cases was more than five for either Singapore or Hong Kong, the scheme would be suspended.

For Hong Kong, which has banned non-residents coming to the city since March last year, the deal with Singapore would have been its first travel link with another city.

Cathay Pacific (0293.HK) and Singapore Airlines (SIAL.SI) were due to be the carriers offering the initial flights.

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-pacific/hong-kong-singapore-travel-bubble-postponed-second-time-2021-05-17/

World Economic Magazine

Recent Posts

Timely Delivery The Key For Developers In Face Of Rising Dubai Construction Costs

Century Tower completes handovers two months ahead of schedule in Business Bay as wider delay…

26 minutes ago

Dubai Real Estate Evolves Into Dual-Track Market With Homes As Lifestyle Assets, Says Luxury Developer

Keturah founder pinpoints critical shifts that will transform the property landscape in 2026 Dubai, UAE,…

35 minutes ago

ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026 to reflect on ‘A Decade of Disruption, A Century of Change’

South Asia’s definitive thought leadership dialogue, The Times Group’s ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026…

48 minutes ago

M&D Appoints Industry Veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer

M&D has appointed industry veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer effective January 1, 2026

5 days ago

Architectural Masterpiece by Thomas Schoos Hits the Market at $36,888,888 in Beverly Hills

A striking new architectural landmark has entered the luxury market at 1140 Summit Drive in…

6 days ago

Three Group Solutions Delivers Private 5G Network Across Hutchison Ports’ UK Operations

Three Group Solutions has completed the deployment of a private 5G network across key Hutchison…

6 days ago