Ford sees better-than-expected quarterly profit on higher vehicle prices

June 17 (Reuters) – Ford Motor Co (F.N) said on Thursday its second-quarter operating profit will exceed expectations due to lower costs and rising prices for new and used vehicles amid the global semiconductor chip shortage.

Ford Chief Executive Jim Farley also said at a Deutsche Bank conference that the No. 2 U.S. automaker will eventually raise its spending on electric vehicles beyond the $30 billion-plus through 2025 that it outlined last month. He added the Argo AI self-driving software startup, in which Ford invested, will need more funding in the future. read more

Ford will provide a more detailed forecast for the second half of the year when it reports second-quarter results on July 28. The Dearborn, Michigan-based company previously said the chip shortage would cost it $2.5 billion this year and halve vehicle production in the second quarter. read more

Farley said the availability of chips will not return to normal in the auto industry until some time next year. He added that Ford had been harder hit than other automakers by the fire at a Japanese plant of Renesas Electronics Corp (6723.T) which affected chip production. read more

However, the chip shortage has also led to lower vehicle inventories, causing consumers to pay higher prices for new cars as well as used cars at vehicle auctions, benefitting Ford Credit, the company said.

“It’s just strengthening every day – pretty breathtaking actually,” Farley said, referring to vehicle pricing for new and used cars.

Ford also cited high interest in several vehicles, including the recently launched Bronco SUV, which has 125,000 orders. The company has 100,000 reservations for the F-150 Lightning electric pickup that will launch next spring.

As far as the rollout of EVs in the United States, Farley said the Biden administration should fashion incentives that benefit both consumers who buy EVs as well as factory workers who produce them. The United Auto Workers union has praised a bill under consideration that would give extra incentives for American-made and union-made EVs.

Ford also said that its net income for the second quarter will be substantially lower than a year ago, when it benefitted from a $3.5 billion gain on its investment in Argo.Reporting by Shreyasee Raj; Editing by Sriraj Kalluvila

Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/ford-expects-better-than-expected-second-quarter-profit-2021-06-17/

World Economic Magazine

Recent Posts

Timely Delivery The Key For Developers In Face Of Rising Dubai Construction Costs

Century Tower completes handovers two months ahead of schedule in Business Bay as wider delay…

2 days ago

Dubai Real Estate Evolves Into Dual-Track Market With Homes As Lifestyle Assets, Says Luxury Developer

Keturah founder pinpoints critical shifts that will transform the property landscape in 2026 Dubai, UAE,…

2 days ago

ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026 to reflect on ‘A Decade of Disruption, A Century of Change’

South Asia’s definitive thought leadership dialogue, The Times Group’s ET NOW Global Business Summit 2026…

2 days ago

M&D Appoints Industry Veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer

M&D has appointed industry veteran Tom Rizzi as Chief Executive Officer effective January 1, 2026

7 days ago

Architectural Masterpiece by Thomas Schoos Hits the Market at $36,888,888 in Beverly Hills

A striking new architectural landmark has entered the luxury market at 1140 Summit Drive in…

1 week ago

Three Group Solutions Delivers Private 5G Network Across Hutchison Ports’ UK Operations

Three Group Solutions has completed the deployment of a private 5G network across key Hutchison…

1 week ago